Thursday, August 13, 2009

Final Top 20

Here was the final top 20. Lessons learned:

1. It's really hard to keep a trim song list. I kept thinking 'but what about this? what about that one?'
2. Lots of those older pentecostal-ish songs are really slow. It's pretty hard for most people to hold the notes in really slow songs, and unless you're in a very particular moment in the service where you're feeling a certain way, I think those super-slow songs can be a little oppressive.
3. The Emu catalogue is much stronger than I thought. There's a bunch of great stuff there, and even the second-tier stuff which I've mostly omitted here is pretty good.
4. Some songs definitely age better than others. Going through CCLI and finding out exactly how old certain songs are is a surprising thing. Did you know that 'My hope is built' (the Chiswell re-write) is seven years older than 'That's why we praise him'? Some certainly age more gracefully...
5. The songs basically fell out in 3 categories: older pentecostal-ish songs, contemporary-ish (90s/early 2000s) songs (mostly Emu), and hymns (mostly re-arranged).

Anyways, here is the final list (in date order, except for the really old ones):

There is a Redeemer

Servant King

Amazing love

Lord I Lift Your Name On High

My Hope is built

May the mind

How deep the father’s love

This Kingdom

Consider Christ

Jesus, your blood and righteousness

Before the throne of God above

Highest Place

Rock of ages

That’s Why We Praise Him

Hallelujah to the King of Kings

Nothing but the blood of Jesus

In Christ Alone

Let your Kingdom come

Never Alone

When I survey

Amazing Grace


You may note that I cheated - there are 21.


3 comments:

  1. So what has been egregiously omitted or included?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised that How Deep the Father's Love is as old as it is...

    Personally not sold on There is a Redeemer but for my 2c I'd say a good list. If I could add one I would go for Put a New Song in My Heart, but I don't know if it fits the easy to play criteria (easy enough on piano, def. fine on sax but I have no idea about guitar)

    "Did you know that 'My hope is built' (the Chiswell re-write) is seven years older than 'That's why we praise him'? Some certainly age more gracefully..."

    A true statement I think but not sure how to read this - I'm surprised there is only 7 years difference (would have thought at least 10), but I read this the other way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nathan - thanks for reading!

    I meant that 'That's why we praise him' sounds really old and daggy - it has aged far more disgracefully than 'my hope is built' (which still sounds pretty good on acoustic guitar)

    I think 'there is a redeemer' got over the line because one of the Mars Hill bands does a cracking version. 'Put a new song in my heart' is a good one, though.

    ReplyDelete