Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rule #10: Be humane.

'I'm still down here... and I'm still in quite a lot of pain. Maybe someone in the lobby could call an ambulance. Oh, the pain is really quite severe. I... I've fashioned a makeshift splint. Here goes nothing. Aaaah...'

Put that thing out of its misery.

I'm talking about reprising the last line of a song. The victorious triple repeat of the last line, in my experience, is about cruelly dragging out a song that has already limped through 3 uninspired verses and an excruciating double chorus, until finally, in a diminuendo of volume and crescendo of pain, it tails off into a final, plaintive, 'Lord I lift your name on hiiiiiiighh....'

Ouch.

Just don't do it. Let it die peacefully at the end of the chorus with whatever dignity it has left.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. Yeah I reckon it's the emotional dissonance which is such a killer.

    Some songs make me feel embarrassed and other songs make me feel like a liar. Classic case in point:

    "Lover of my soul
    I want to live for you" X3!

    For some reason, this is on high rotation at our church. Man that song is arkward!

    For a start, the wording is just unnatural. I'll never be able to sing "lover of my soul" without feeling a bit weird cos it's just not the kind of language that's natural for me.

    And "I want to live for youuuuuu"... well, the sentiment is awesome but what if I just don't feel like that right now. Am I a liar if I sing the words? How can I sing it in a hearfelt way if it's making me realise how often I don't feel that way?

    I want to hear the song that goes:

    "Lord, sometmes I don't want to lift your name on high - and I'm sorry" *

    *ok, the poetics might need a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete