Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Top 20 Challenge

Greetings, fearless blogophiles. I need your help. The task is simple: to come up with 20 easy-to-sing, guitar-friendly songs for a church plant which is just establishing a music ministry.

But, as with all good reality TV, THERE'S JUST ONE CATCH!

You have to have some stuff in there that people who may or may not have been around in Pentecostal churches up to 20 or so years ago might know. This makes it a little trickier...

Here is my list, but I'm really struggling on good old Pentecostal-friendly stuff. I need your help - please comment!

Servant King

The Heavens shall declare

Amazing love

There is a Redeemer

Consider Christ

Highest Place

Never Alone

Hallelujah to the King of Kings

Let your Kingdom come

In Christ Alone

Jesus, your blood and righteousness

May the mind

How deep the father’s love

My Hope is built

In His Image

Amazing Grace

Be thou my vision

Before the throne of God above

Rock of ages

When I survey



4 comments:

  1. A couple of notable omissions (perhaps)

    Blessed be your name
    See Him coming

    Should anything on there be tossed in favour of either of these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take My Life(GH)
    Christ Alone (different to In Christ Alone)
    Call For Mercy (GH)
    Mighty To Save (Hillsong)
    Better Is One Day (Matt Redman)
    God Of Wonders
    How Great Is our God

    Some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some good oldies I remember:
    I love you Lord
    As the Deer
    Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise
    Lord I lift your name on high
    All I once held dear (from Phil 3, my favourite song)
    The heavens shall declare
    Great in power (a bit newer)

    You might want to consider ditching "may the mind" - I find it too us centred and imperitive and it just makes me feel guilty for not really feeling these things. I prefer to sing about how great God is.

    A newer song that's great and Pentecostal friendly is "Who is like you Lord of heaven?" (Chorus: Oh for a thousand tongues to sing...)

    Soph :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help guys. Duke, I'm not sure I could justify bumping anything from the list in favour of these songs. What do you reckon should make way for them?

    Soph, thanks for these suggestions. There are couple here I don't know, I should check them out. As for the ones I do know, there's a fine line between endearingly daggy and just plain daggy :)

    I quite like how out there 'May the mind' is - I reckon it's a good one to sing after a sermon that challenges us on our mindset and attitude towards others. It think the fact that it is a prayer to God for these things to be true kind of gets it off the hook on being too us-centred and imperative. It's asking God that this might happen. But what do you reckon?

    ReplyDelete